Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Week of Pie Crusts #6: Fruit and Cream Tart with Shortbread Crust


There have been many times when I have quoted a cookbook recipe on this here blog. Usually it's from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook, which I think is a pretty common cookbook and most people probably have it and I'm just re-typing it for those of you who are too lazy to dig out the actual book to find it. Or, I've changed it so dramatically that it doesn't matter what cookbook I took it from, it's now a completely different entity unto itself. However, the recipe today is from a brand new cookbook that just came out called, "Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking," which is a whole book of doable, mostly simple recipes that anyone can cook. And, let's be honest here, how many of you reading this are celiacs who didn't cook until they found out they had to? Most of us are novice chefs and we need cookbooks that are straightforward and not full of recipes we would never eat.
The other day I was looking on someone else's gluten free blog (I can't remember who! So sorry...)and saw their post about how their friends had written a new gluten free cookbook called Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking. It was written by Kelli and Peter Bronski, who have a blog of their own called No Gluten No Problem. The book is available through Amazon.com and only costs a mere $12.89. So of course I clicked twice and bought the book, because I always need gluten free inspiration. I looked through the book and noticed they have all kinds of familiar foods in there that I always want to make but am wanting for a good recipe. They also have their own gluten free flour mixture recipe (which, by the way, is almost the exact same ingredients as the Grandpa's Kitchen Flour, minus the xantham gum) that they mix up themselves and have the instructions right there for you to mix some up on your own.
I decided to try the Fruit Tart with the Sweet Pastry Dough using the Grandpa's Kitchen flour. I was way too lazy to mix up my own flour mix. Here's what I have to say: 1) the recipe is so easy to follow, 2) it's completely delicious. So, for today, you will have to go to the book yourselves to find out how to make it. That's right, just click up there where it says Amazon.com, put the book in your cart and buy it. It will come right to your door and you can make all kinds of goodies with this quite extraordainary cookbook. And, don't forget that Christmas is around the corner. Need a gift for a celiac friend? This book would be great for anyone, but especially for a newly diagnosed celiac who may be struggling with menu ideas and how to make them on their own.
Trust me, you won't be disappointed in this cookbook. It's worth having on your shelf just for the pastry dough recipe.
Happy ordering and eating!

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by April Showers