Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Inspiration from Jamie

I'm still going on about my Whole Foods finds. I know you're probably wondering how much money I spent there on all of these things. Honestly, I don't even know. It's one of my weaknesses, shopping. And I must admit that as a gluten free eater sometimes when I see a food option I just buy it, no questions asked. You never know when you're going to find your new favorite product because you were willing to try it out for $6.

This find isn't necessarily a food find, but it's just about as good. As I said last week, I was in Whole Foods looking for inspiration. Wandering up and down the aisles is usually what gets the juices flowing for me, but while I was in the checkout line I spied this:A copy of Jamie magazine, UK edition. Jamie Oliver, in case you live in a cave and don't ever watch TV, is an English chef who is all about fresh ingredients and local cuisine. He hosts a show called Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution where he goes and tries to help American communities eat healthier. And he makes food look amazing. So talented and knowledgeable, this guy is. I have never actually seen a physical copy of this magazine, ever. I hope that means I don't get out much, but being somewhat of an Anglophile and a foodie, I grabbed it just to see what the food forecast is like across the Atlantic. First and foremost, this is truly a British publication. All of the ads are for UK products, most of which I've never heard of, but some were welcome reminders of old friends. (My favorite cheese, right there in print!)The paper it's printed on is even different. It's a matte finish rather than glossy and a little bit thicker than regular magazine stock. It has beautiful photography and very British recipes. For example, you could learn how to make fish pie (sounds gross to me, but I'm a fish hater...apparently it's a very traditional British dish), damson, pear and walnut muffins (what's a damson, you ask? I think something like a plum, but I'm not even sure about that), cassoulet, or Oxtail stew. One thing that caught my eye were these buckwheat crepes with poached pear and apple cider. They looked like a recipe that I could easily make gluten free, and I'm always looking for ways to use buckwheat that are delicious. (I have failed several times with buckwheat, that's why it's on my radar.)

I'll be honest and say not all of these recipes are ones I would ever make. But that's not the point. The point is that sometimes you need to think about food in a different way than you always think about it when you get bored with what you're eating. Sometimes imagining yourself in another country through the pages of a magazine are just the trick. And sometimes it's just plain fun to read a beautiful magazine that's all about a local cuisine and peek into another culture. Thanks for the trip, Jamie!

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers