Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The World is Coming to an End...I'm Blogging about Bananas

Anyone who knows me well knows of my aversion to bananas. It's not that I hate them, it's just that I can think of 400,000 other foods I'd rather eat before I have to eat them. So when one of my daughters begged me for banana bread and I saw the gross overripe bananas on my counter, I decided to revisit the concept of a banana recipe. This is what I do when I cook with bananas: I add other tasty ingredients to mask the taste and then it's edible! Some of you may be banana nut fans and are so excited to finally see a banana nut recipe, but as for me, eh. I used a recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook *the Bible* and used Grandpa's Kitchen gluten free baking flour. Then I added 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips just to make extra sure I could eat some. It turned out pretty well. Here's the recipe:

Gluten Free Banana Bread
from Better Homes and Gardens

1 1/2 cups Grandpa's Kitchen gluten free flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas (3 medium)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cooking oil or applesauce
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Grease a loaf pan and preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine the flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Make a well in the center and set aside.
2. In another bowl combine the egg, bananas, sugar, cooking oil, and lemon peel. Blend well and add all at once to the dry ingredients. Blend until just moistened and lumpy. Add nuts and chocolate chips.
3. Spoon batter into loaf pan. Bake 50-55 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

I gave a few slices of this bread to my friend whose two children were recently diagnosed with celiac disease, and they apparently said it was delicious. I'd love to hear comments from any banana nut lovers to see if you like this recipe, too!
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers