Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Gluten Free Caramel Apple Crepes

Usually when my little family gets together for dinner and I make my famous crepes we have the standard fillings: Nutella, strawberries, whipped cream, powdered sugar. But Monday night I had a brain flash...complete with carameled apples for the season. The best part about this little personal triumph is that I did this whole recipe with no book, no internet, no call to the cook friend. I mixed and matched the flavors and even taste tested while I was cooking. I imagined in my head what I wanted it to taste like and I just went for it. I'm usually so caught up with perfection that I research myself to death. Yay me! Not that it's a hard recipe, but still.
It seems like some sort of breakfast restaurant is always advertising their pancake meals topped with fancy fruit toppings, and since there's nothing I can eat there they will remain unnamed. However, I thought about making a chunky applesauce for the filling and using some caramel ice cream syrup we had in the fridge for that little something extra. It turned out to be a delicious alternative to Nutella and strawberries. Here's the recipe for the filling:
Chunky Caramelized Applesauce
3 gala apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1/3 cup brown sugar
4 T butter
juice of 1/2 small lemon
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cornstarch
In a small saucepan, add apples, sugar, butter, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Heat over medium heat until butter melts and sauce simmers. Cook until apples are soft, about 12-15 minutes. Add cornstarch and stir well until thickened. Spoon into a fresh gluten free crepe and drizzle with Smuckers Caramel Sundae syrup. Top with Cool Whip, roll and eat with a fork.Try this one next time you make crepes for dinner or brunch. You could also use pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon for an extra-autumn flavor.
Happy eating!


1 comment:

  1. This looks like a great Fall breakfast or dessert. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers