Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gluten Free Christmas Gifts #2: An Apple For The Teacher

Aaah, the Caramel Apple. Orthodontist visits aside, this is seriously one of my favorite gifts to give. Who doesn't love getting a huge tart Granny Smith apple covered in sugar? I noticed on one of my new favorite blogs, How Does She? that they had a post on Caramel Apples called Apples Dipped in Heaven a few weeks back, and I've been craving one ever since. I bought all the ingredients and just haven't had the time to make the recipe yet. I stopped by a local chocolate shop the other day, The Chocolate Covered Wagon in Sandy (don't you just love that name?), and got one of their caramel apples because I needed to give one as a thank you to someone in my neighborhood. I noticed on the bottom that all of the ingredients were gluten free, and it gave me an idea. I thought my children could give these "Apples Dipped in Heaven" to their teachers with little tags that said, "An Apple For The Teacher." My friend Aimee would seriously design something completely out of this world and include something fabulous like apple seeds or a real apple branch with it, but I just churned out simple handmade tags that look like this:
I used a 2 3/8" scallop punch with some Christmas scrapbook paper for the background and a 1 3/4" circle punch with white cardstock for the centers. Then I just wrote a little message and colored it in with some markers. (So professional.) I'm going to punch the tops and hang them both together from the apple's ribbon, like dog tags. Caramel Apple Dog Tags. It sounds like a punk band. I think they will love them! You could give these to someone who isn't a teacher and I'm sure they would eat it right up nonetheless. If you handmake these you can choose what toppings you put on your apples, but if you're purchasing them, just make sure you check the ingredients at your local caramel apple depot to make sure they're gluten free. Read: No Cookies and Creme! The cost is between $5 and $6 an apple.

Happy giving!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers