Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Gluten Free Pink Lemonade Cupcakes...Just In Time for Summer!

So sorry about the long delay between posts. I was having technical difficulties with my blog login and basically just figured out what I was doing wrong, a week later. Whatever. Technology, kiss my grits! Also, I've been completely distracted because we sold our house and are now looking for a place to live. That takes precedence over cooking, I think. But never fear, I have been sitting on some great dessert recipes that now I can share with you.

One of my favorite blogs to peruse is Real Mom Kitchen. I really and truly don't know how people can come up with so many new recipes every day. I think I need to go to college to learn how to do that or something, because it's amazing to me how many great recipes Real Mom Kitchen has. It's inspiring to just read the recipe names, so give it a shot. Anyhoo, I came across this recipe for her Pink Lemonade cupcakes and thought it sounded so great I gave it a try. My gluten free version is a variation of Renee's Cupcakes that makes a really moist gluten free cupcake, and the frosting recipe is basically the same as the original except I left out shortening. I don't love frosting with shortening in it, personally. But if you want sky-high frosting that won't move, I'm pretty sure shortening is the secret ingredient. I will be making these on KUTV Channel 2's Fresh Living show next Friday, June 10 at 11 a.m., so check it out because they are going to look darling on my new cupcake tower that I found at Target the other day for about $20. I love it and I think it will come in handy for lots of events over here. Now I just have to find a box to put it in...

Gluten Free Pink Lemonade Cupcakes1 box of Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
1 box Jell-O Lemon Pudding Mix
3 eggs
2/3 cup half and half
1/2 cup canola oil
4 T pink lemonade mix, like Country Time
red or pink food coloring

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place muffin liners in muffin tins. Mix all ingredients together with a hand mixer, mix well. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Bake 20-24 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

Pink Lemonade Frosting
adapted from Real Mom Kitchen

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup thawed frozen pink lemonade concentrate
4 cups powdered sugar
1 T milk
zest of 1 lemon
(optional: 1 tsp vanilla)
3 drops of red food coloring

Beat butter in a stand mixer's bowl until soft and fluffy. Add lemonade, sugar, milk, lemon, vanilla if desired, (I left it out because I wanted it zingy) and food coloring. Mix well. Place in pastry bag with extra large tip and pipe onto top of cupcakes.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers