Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Farm Fresh Eggs: Gluten Free Breakfast Joy

My husband has a friend at work who has like 30 chickens living on his property. Last time the kids and I went down to visit daddy's work he gave us an 18-pack of fresh eggs from his "farm" and told me I could get more any time I want. Cool, I thought. I use a lot of eggs, so this will be good because I won't have to run to the store when I'm out. What I didn't realize (because I'm a city slicker and have been my whole life) is that fresh eggs taste so much better than store-bought eggs. I was amazed at the flavor and richness of the fresh eggs. I had a full 18 pack of eggs in my fridge and not one of them has been touched yet, because I've been eating these delicious fresh eggs every chance I get.
The great thing about eggs is that they're such saviors for gluten free eaters! When you're hungry and in a hurry, whip up some eggs or an omelet and you're set. So easy, so versatile, and so naturally gluten free. And while I was thinking so much about these eggs, I realized that everyone I know cooks their eggs a different way. It's like that part in Runaway Bride where Julia Roberts eats every kind of egg to find out her true personality, and settles on Eggs Benedict. I think I must have a boringly normal personality because this is how I love to eat my eggs:
*scrambled with Pam, stirring the whole time
*about 1/4 cup of shredded colby jack cheese cooked into them and
*a pinch of salt.

I mean, how suburban can you get? I must say, everyone including my children and my children's friends have said that they like my eggs, so it must not be too bad. What's your favorite way to eat eggs? Leave me a comment below and tell me how you take your eggs: over easy? boiled? omelet-style? McMuffin style?

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I eat my eggs eggsactly the way you do. My hubby likes them with cream cheese instead of colby/jack. But I always have colby/jack on hand. It's the best.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers