Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Gluten Free Lemon Poppyseed Muffins

You know how you have those moments at the store where you walk past something that you used to be able to eat and then you sigh and say, "That used to be one of my favorites. Dang." That was me and lemon poppy seed muffins. They didn't even have to be the huge planet-sized Costco ones, I could do myself up right with the mix from a box when it came to those. And whenever I have those moments at the store when I am missing one of my old favorites, I can usually guarantee that I'm in the kitchen by the next day whipping up some gluten free substitute that sometimes tastes even better than the original. These muffins are the perfect complement to any brunch or breakfast meal. Light and fresh, they round out your taste buds and give you a full tummy, too. Of course I'm using my favorite flour for these muffins, the Grandpa's Kitchen gluten free baking flour. I've made a few batches of these, so I know that if you use a little more lemon zest you may love it but your husband may not. So use zest accordingly. If you want an extra lemony zing, add a bit of lemon extract and see if you like it. I like this recipe because the muffins have a lemony flavor without totally zinging you. The same goes for the poppyseeds. I love the crunch of using 2 tablespoons, but some of you may only want to use 1 tablespoon if you like less of them. All I know is that goofing off in the kitchen can often yield tasty results...and I don't sigh when I walk by the Costco muffins anymore!
Gluten free Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
1 3/4 cup Grandpa's Kitchen baking flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp. poppy seeds
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 beaten egg
zest of 3 lemons
juice of 2 lemons
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners. Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soday, salt and poppy seeds together in a medium bowl. In a small bowl, mix milk, oil, egg, and lemon zest and juice together. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add wet ingredients all at once. Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop batter into muffin tin. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.
Happy eating!

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by April Showers