Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Gluten Free Lemon Zucchini Bread

I remember the first time I ate zucchini bread. I was 6 years old playing at my friend Michelle's house and her mom offered me some. I expected it would taste savory and salty, since zucchini is a vegetable. But heavens to Murgatroid, it was sweet and cinnamony and I couldn't even taste the zucchini! Ever since that summer I have looked forward to harvesting zucchini just for making some zucchini bread. Most summers I'll make zucchini bread at least once because I have so much shredded zucchini in my house. Usually I'll take the big zucchini that aren't great for frying and grate them and put 1-cup amounts into a Ziploc bag and just freeze them so that in winter when I want Gluten Free Carrot Cake Muffins I can thaw them out and not have to run to the store for zucchini.

This last time I made zucchini bread I decided to try something a little different with the flavors. Most zucchini bread recipes call for some lemon zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg. I decided as I was zesting my lemon that I loved the lemon so much I was going to make Lemon Zucchini Bread. So here's what I did:

Gluten Free Lemon Zucchini Bread

1 cup sugar

1 cup shredded zucchini

zest of 1 lemon

juice of 1 lemon

1/4 cup crushed pineapple

1/4 cup oil

1 egg

1 1/2 cups Grandpa's Kitchen Gluten Free Flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, soda, powder, and salt and set aside. In a stand mixer, combine sugar, zucchini, lemon zest and juice, pineapple, oil, and egg. Mix well and then add flour mixture a little at a time. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. This bread turned out fantastic. I used a different type of gluten free flour, replaced the oil with unsweetened applesauce and used egg whites equivalent to 1 egg, but other than that, stuck to the rest of the recipe. I was wondering how to figure out the nutritionals though. Have you ever calculated them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is seriously so good! Thanks soooo much for this wonderful site Margo!! I was just recently diagnosed with celiac after almost 4 years of health turmoil. I hope this is the key to the many issues I have had. I watched you on TV a year or so ago and was so excited to see you. Gina reminded me just a couple weeks ago that you had a website and I'm in love with it already. THANK YOU!! Looks like you have a wonderful family and are doing great. Can't wait to try more of your recipes. The only bad thing is we can't quit eating the bread!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers