Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Almighty Egg


How many times have you come home from a busy day and just made eggs for dinner because they were quick and easy? I am here to bow down and pay homage to one of food's naturally gluten free gifts: The incredible, edible egg.
There are about as many ways to eat eggs as there are to hold a pencil. Everyone has their own style and favorite way to cook them. I love eggs in many different packages, including scrambled with cheese and veggies (above), over easy with runny yolks over hash browns, and in quiches and egg casseroles. To be honest, I only eat hard boiled eggs if I'm dieting and I have to. I think one of my next projects will be to find a way to make hard boiled eggs appetizing. There has to be a way to do that.
I love to make egg casseroles when I'm having company stay at my house and I want a filling, beautiful breakfast but I don't have the time or energy to cook one. This is one of my favorite recipes because you can make it the night before and just pop it in the oven in the morning. And it's so versatile. You can use whatever meats or veggies you like or you happen to have on hand in the fridge. I'm getting hungry just talking about it. And, just so you know, I made this the other day and forgot to take a picture of it because we ate it all. Sorry! Next time I make it I'll add a photo. Or, you can just make it yourself and eat it all, too.
Egg Casserole
½ cup butter
1 cup milk
9 eggs
½ cup sour cream
cheese to taste (I usually use about 1-1 1/2 cups of shredded colby jack)
green onions, sliced (you can use dried minced onions or shallots, also. But the green ones are so pretty)
1 cup cubed ham (or you can also slice up some little smokies or add cooked crumbled bacon)
1 pinch of salt
1 pinch of pepper

Heat oven to 350. Melt butter, then mix all ingredients together and pour into greased 9x13 pan. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes.
That's it! It's simple and tasty. I've also made this where I add a clove of minced garlic, tomatoes, and spinach for extra veggie power. Try it for your next breakfast with company and serve with hash browns and orange juice and your guests will think you're the best.
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers