Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, September 4, 2009

Betty Crocker Taste Test

Somebody said to me today, "You must cook all the time." It's true. I dream about food. I think about food all the time. I'll get an idea for for a dish and have to try it right then, mealtime or not. It had barely been two hours since I had gotten home from the grocery store that I had to bake up the Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix and Betty Crocker Devil's Food Cake Mix to try it. I was hoping to catch them off their guard and be able to say Betty failed. But, instead, Betty triumphed.

The thing is, we all look to cake mixes to quickly get a cake ready for whatever reason. Period. It's an extra bonus if you make a tasty one. So points to Betty for making this mix easy and accessible. The instructions were easy to follow and there weren't any special ingredients necessary to add that I didn't already have in my kitchen. It mixed up like a regular mix, it baked up like a regular mix, I used regular Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Frosting on it like a regular mix, and my husband ate a huge piece like a regular mix. About thirty minutes later, he asked, "Was that gluten free?" That is the ultimate litmus test: fooling a gluten-eater with gluten free goods.
Although there is a slight (and I mean slight) aftertaste to this yellow cake, it is overshadowed by the ease and availability of these mixes. And I made the Devil's Food Cake with sour cream instead of butter, and can we just say, moist? It is super yummy. And....$4.49! You can't beat that! I have been looking in all my local stores for a Gluten Free Pantry Decadent Chocolate Cake Mix for about a month now and am going to have to order one on the internet. But Betty came through with her grocery store mixes...easy, accessible, Betty. Happy Eating!

3 comments:

  1. I have tried the brownie mix, which is awesome. I tried the chocolate chip cookie mix too. They tasted great but melted all over the place. I tried refrigerating the dough and not. Both ways they turned to mush. I have both cake mixes in my pantry and was planning on trying them this week.
    Our local WalMart store (Epping, NH) just created a gluten free section! I can't even tell you how excited I was. I almost cried. lol The prices are so much better than the grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen to that! A gluten free section makes the heart warm and fuzzy, doesn't it? Thanks for the tip on the cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been wondering how the new Betty Crocker mixes measured up. I was skeptical, since it relies heavily on rice flour. For chocolate cake, I use Pamela's bakery mix. It's another one that fools gluten eaters.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers