Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Gluten Free Sloppy Joes

Every now and again, especially in the fall, I just want some sloppy joes. I don't have to have them every night or even every month. Just every now and again. Something about eating one off of a paper plate with several napkins at the ready is homestyle goodness wrapped in a drippy bun. And, it's dinner in about 15 minutes. The problem sloppy joes present to celiac sufferers is that not only can you not eat them on the bun, but traditional bases like Campbell's Tomato soup and flour are not gluten free. You have to make them from scratch, just like every other goldarned thing you want to eat. Which is fine with me, because I am not a green pepper lover anyway, and I want to control what is in my food. I have issues. (As a side note, Manwich is gluten free, in which case if you love Manwich I'm sure you'll stop reading now and go buy some at the store.)
So here's how I make sloppy joes. I brown one pound of extra lean hamburger with minced onion. Drain the fat. Add one can of Amy's Chunky Tomato Bisque soup. I love this soup because it has a really strong tomato flavor and gives everything a kick. Add one tablespoon brown sugar, one teaspoon minced garlic, one teaspoon dry mustard powder, two tablespoons of ketchup. Let that simmer for a minute and add one 8 ounce can of tomato sauce and one teaspoon of chili powder. Simmer for a few more minutes until your husband gets home. Serve with gluten free hamburger buns.
I like to add cheese on the top of my filling. Be aware that your gluten free hamburger bun will soak up the sauce and turn pink. The joys of gluten free eating! Also, as an alternative, if you don't have any buns made, serve it over corn chips with a little cheese on top and let the rest of your family have their Wonder Bread buns. Yours may taste just a little better!
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers