Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice

A long time ago I had my first preemie (the first of four) and a very sweet neighbor brought me the most delicious dinner while I was recovering. To this day, whenever I make this quick and easy dinner I think of kind deeds and thoughtful people. This is one of my favorite quick and easy dinners for busy nights...you can get it on the table within 20 minutes.

Cheesy Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice

1. Put 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer, cook for 20 minutes or until tender.

2. Cut up 2-3 stalks of broccoli crowns into florets, discarding stems. Place in a covered casserole with one tablespoon of water. Cook in microwave for 7 minutes or until tender-crisp.

3. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saucepan. Add two tablespoons of cornstarch and stir until thick. Add one can of chicken stock and simmer until thick. Add one can of drained chicken or 1-2 cooked cubed chicken breasts. Add one cup of your favorite shredded cheese, like monterey jack, colby jack, cheddar, swiss, or gruyere. Add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and stir to melt.

4. Layer rice, broccoli and sauce on a plate and eat it all up.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers