Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Monday, October 5, 2009

Gluten Free Baked Penne

Every now and again I think I see some kind of food on a commercial and I know exactly how I would cook it. Usually these are Italian dishes with red tomato sauce. I don't know why I think I can make them, but I just figure them out. No recipe needed. One day I had a vision in my head of baked penne with creamy mozzarella cheese with a flavorful red sauce that melts in your mouth. So I decided to make it one day for a ladies' luncheon I hosted at my home with my Mushroom and Asparagus Risotto. I am pleased to report that my Baked Penne recipe is fabulous, and the star isn't the sauce. It's the smoked mozzarella cheese.
If you've never heard of or tasted smoked mozzarella, run down to your local Harmon's or Whole Foods and buy a piece of it.

It looks like dirty mozzarella. But it tastes like Italian heaven when baked. The flavor is unbelievable. Smoky and creamy at the same time, with that salty mozzarella bite you already love. I used the Bertolli Portobello mushroom sauce with Merlot wine,which I barely remembered to take a picture of before I threw it away. It is so flavorful and robust. The wine really gives it a fullness of flavor that completes the dish. I also used Tinkyada Penne noodles (my favorite brand) and about a half pound of hamburger. I'm thinking spicy Italian sausage would also be good in this recipe.After I boiled the noodles and drained them and drained the fat from the hamburger I had browned, I simply returned them to my saute pan and added the cubed smoked mozzarella and the sauce. Then I transferred it to a baking dish and baked at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. It comes out nice and crusty and bubbly. It is the perfect dish for a ladies' luncheon or a quick, elegant dinner for company.

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. Looks divine. I just saw you on the TV this morning. So happy to find your blog. My 4 year old was diagnosed with CD when she was two and we are always on the look out for delicious!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers