Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Gluten Free Brownies with Millet Flour


When I wrote this post about all of my favorite Christmas presents, I forgot to mention this one: A gift from my fabulous and generous mother that counts for Christmas, birthday, Easter, Mother's Day, Fourth of July, St. Patrick's Day and Halloween for the whole year. The Nutrimill. What I love about this grain mill is that you can adjust the coarseness of your flour, which makes creative types like me feel like they have control over the final product. That and it's the same mill JoLayna has, and she always picks the best stuff. I haven't used it as much as I wanted to yet, so I got it out the other day and thought I'd try to make up a little something. I decided to grind some millet, which has the most vitamins of any grain, and is a food complete with amino acids and everything. First I put in 1/2 cup of millet grain, and ground it on the finest setting. I ended up with just over 3/4 cup of freshly ground millet flour. Then I went on ahead and made some brownies a la Margo, which means they have a little special extra ingredient.

Gluten Free Brownies

1 stick butter
1/3 cup Hershey baking cocoa powder
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
3/4 cups gluten free flour (try millet, amaranth, or teff for kicks)
1/2 cup white chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick cooking spray, or line 12 muffin tins with paper liners. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the cocoa. Remove from heat and add the rest of the ingredients. Bake for 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

The white chocolate chips just give the brownies a little extra oomph and crunch inside. They also make it EXTRA chocolatey, which, let's face it, is the reason the brownie was invented. The Bronski's also have a great Brownie recipe in their book, Artisanal Gluten Free Cooking. Check it out if you get the chance.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers