Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Gluten Free Scrumptious Chicken, Crock Pot Style

There is this crock pot cookbook out there that I just love. In fact, I have two of them, I love it so much. It's called The Fix It and Forget It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker. It's pretty popular, so chances are you have one, too. It has all kinds of great crock pot recipes and one of my favorites is called Scrumptious Chicken. You are supposed to make it with Cream of Chicken soup and Onion Soup mix and Sour Cream, all of which need to be chosen carefully if you are eating gluten free. But this dish is so great it's worth the extra minute it takes to choose your ingredients.

First, I put four packets of Lipton Creamy Chicken Cup-A-Soup, which I also cleverly used here, in a microwaveable bowl and add 1 1/2 cups of water. After whisking it together, I microwave it for two minutes and 15 seconds until it's nice and thick. Voila! Two cans' worth of cream of chicken soup. To that I add one packet of Western Family Onion Soup mix or Lipton Onion Soup Mix, which by my readings of the package is gluten free. Then I add 1 cup of gluten free Sour Cream. Most Meadow Gold, Cream of Weber, Harmon's brands are gluten free. Just give the package a quick scan to make sure. Then mix those ingredients together well and set aside.

Then I take 4-6 boneless chicken breasts and sear them on both sides in a pan on high heat just to seal in the juices. I place the chicken in my Pam-sprayed Old Reliable crock pot and pour the sauce mixture over. Cook on low for 4-6 hours and serve with rice and a vegetable. I happen to make white rice for dinner. I know Jillian Michaels is probably rolling her eyes at that, but I'm lucky to get the kids I have to eat the white rice as it is, so sorry. But it would probably work just as well with brown rice if that's your choice, or if you have dietary issues with the white kind. I spoon the sauce over the rice and it is by far the best part of the meal. Give it a try next time you are going to be home late to start dinner, or double the recipe if you're having people over. It truly is Scrumptious Chicken.
Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. I love my slow cooker! I have a bunch of healthy slow cooker recipes (many gluten-free) that I post on my blog if you're interested. (http://healthyslowcooking.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers