Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Friday, February 19, 2010

Wendy's Does It Again

If you are a celiac person like me, you try your best to make your own food and cook at home as much as possible. But inevitably, there are days when you have to grab some takeout and call it good. And you have to love Wendy's for all their many gluten free options, which I think they don't even make gluten free on purpose. It's like a happy accident when you find something gluten free at a fast food restaurant...it SOOO feels like cheating.

Anyway, the other day I went through the drive through at Wendy's and noticed that they had changed their salad menu again. I'm guessing they do this seasonally or at least yearly, because so many people are on the salad bandwagon these days and they probably get sick of eating the same salads over and over again. Me, I'm all about the bunless burger, but on occasion, I feel the need for a salad come up and I'll go for it. I usually just order my salads the way a normal person would and then read the ingredients on the dressings when I'm home to see if it's okay, then if it's not okay I'll just use one of my own salad dressings. No biggie. I decided to try the Baja salad, which comes with chili, spicy pico de gallo, guacamole, tortilla strips, and this creamy red jalapeno dressing. (Did I say it was diet food? I did not say that.) I put it all together, and lunch was born. Personally, this salad was a little on the spicy side for me, but that's because I have a tenderfoot mouth. My husband would think it needed hot sauce, but that's a moot point because he won't eat salads anyway. I checked both the salad dressing and the tortilla strips, and both are gluten free. I love their already gluten free chili, which I could pour over everything I eat every day, and it was a nice warm contrast to the lettuce blend. The guacamole was okay. I think it was a little bland, but it was all mixed together with the spicy pico and the dressing, so it didn't really matter that it wasn't spicy. Yet another great gluten free lunch option from Wendy's! Check out their gluten free menu listing here, and I dare you not to be craving a Frosty by the time you're done browsing. Chow down, y'all!
Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers