Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Saturday, July 24, 2010

It's Summer, It Must Be Potato Salad Time

Every summer it's the same thing: I get so tired of the hot kitchen that I just make up a huge batch of potato salad on a weekday and keep it in the fridge to go with whatever we are grilling that night. Something about eating something cold but savory in the summer really makes me happy. And I'm here to tell you that lots of folks out there like my brand of potato salad. Wanna know why? I don't put anything crunchy or weird in it. I really hate biting into a nice, creamy bite of potatoes and eggs and mayonnaisse and finding...bacon? Or celery? Pickles? Or red onion? Or red pepper? No! Crunch does not go with chunky creamy, okay? That's why so many people hate potato salad, I think. There's a little too much wierd going on inside. Don't get me wrong, I love bacon, red onion, pickles, and the other kinds of crunchy things in other dishes. Just not in my plain potato salad. This is one of those things that my mom used to always make while I was growing up, and eating it when it's hot outside makes me remember the days when life wasn't so busy and all I had on my mind was what I would wear to the parade on Saturday. She knew I didn't like all the crunchy stuff, so she made it just the way I liked it. I'm so spoiled. So if you're feeling like a walk on the tame side, give this dish a try.

Mom's Potato Salad

6-8 baked potatoes (You can cook them either in the oven or microwave, it doesn't matter)
6-8 hard boiled eggs (I try to do 2 less than however many potatoes I'm using)
1 cup Best Foods Light Mayonnaisse
2 T yellow mustard
pinch of pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion salt

In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaisse, mustard, and spices and set aside. Let the potatoes and eggs cool until they are easy to handle. Peel and cube the potatoes. Peel and dice the eggs. (I like to use an egg slicer for this, it makes it so easy.) Layer half the eggs and potatoes in the bottom of a large bowl and add half the mayonnaisse mixture. Layer the second half of the potatoes and eggs and the rest of the mayonnaisse mixture. Mix well. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours so flavors can meld together.


Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers