Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Officially the Cutest Gluten Free Snack on the Planet: White Chocolate Covered Marshmallows


I was in Park City, Utah with my family a couple of weeks ago, and our tradition when we go there is to always stop at the Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory and get a caramel apple. Well, two kids in braces and one cranky three year old later, we left with a whole bunch of gummy bears and a new treat: white chocolate covered marshmallows. They were so cute in the store and when I tasted one I expected a sugar rush, but holy cow Harry Carey, I didn't expect them to be as completely delicious as they were. Of course three days later I was in the kitchen trying to make my own, which turned out fine for the eating, but then I asked a friend who is close to a master candy maker how I could make them better, and I got the whole scoop. So you'll have to look at my sloppy photos, but do as I say, don't do as I photograph. The best part of this snack is that I've never ever encountered a gluten-filled marshmallow. They are completely on the safe list as they always use cornstarch. And most chocolates are gluten free, it's usually the things they put into the chocolate that you have to watch out for. So dip away, my friends, and enjoy a brand new treat for summer.

Gluten Free White Chocolate Marshmallows

16 large marshmallows
8 dowels or popsicle sticks (they usually sell these at food supply stores or in the candy making section)
5 squares of White chocolate by Baker's
Sprinkles, cinnamon, or nuts--whatever your favorite flavors are
Place two large marshmallows on the bottom end of a small dowel. Melt the chocolate in a medium sized bowl *larger than the one you see above!* for 1 minute in the microwave. Stir and melt for 1 more minute. Stir well and quickly begin dipping the marshmallows, using a spoon to help get the chocolate up onto the top of the marshmallows. If you want an extra topping on them like sprinkles, cinnamon or nuts, dip one side of the marshmallows in them and then stand them up onto a silpat-lined cookie sheet. When you are finished dipping them, place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator to let the chocolate set up. I actually keep these in the fridge in the summer so they don't melt in the hot kitchen.
I learned that chocolate chips are actually the worst kind of chocolate to use for dipping because they seize up really easily when they are overheated. Siezing chocolate looks crumbly and dry and will ruin the taste of your chocolate. The best kind to get is the dipping chocolate discs at a food supply store, called something like Callebut, but I haven't checked the labels to make sure they are gluten free yet.
Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!!!! I plan on making these this weekend!!!

    Linda
    http://coloradofarmlife.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. could we turn these into cute snowmen somehow? thx

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers