Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Gluten Free Super Bowl Chex Mix

I asked my friend Cody what was the one Super Bowl Snack he missed the most now that he couldn't eat gluten. His answer? The Classic Chex Mix. Good call. I knew there was a pretty good possibility that I could make that gluten free, and I have not one but two choices for you. The first one was really simple and easy, it's the Chili and Garlic Snack Mix from the folks at Chex. I like this mixture because a)it's a gluten free recipe already, b) it has popcorn in it, which is one of my favorites, and c)it only bakes in the oven for 15 minutes, so you're in and out of the kitchen in no time. It is a tad more spicy, but still really tasty. Click here for the recipe from Chex.I still really wanted to try that Original Chex Party Mix and make it gluten free myself, and since I'm the only one who will eat it I halved the recipe and made some minor adjustments. There's not too much here that's different from the original recipe, like I omitted the Wheat Chex (duh) and the bagel chips (double duh), I don't like mixed nuts so I just used almonds and peanuts, and the spice amounts are a little different, but I thought I would post my changes here instead of having you flip back and forth from my site to the Chex site to see the difference. Cross your fingers that the Chex police don't find me.

Gluten Free Original Chex Party Mix

1 1/2 cups Corn Chex
1 1/2 cups Rice Chex
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup peanuts
1 cup Ener-G Gluten Free pretzels
3 T butter, melted
1 T Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp season salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder

Mix cereal, nuts and pretzels in a large microwave safe bowl. Add seasonings and Worcestershire sauce to melted butter and pour over the cereal mixture. Toss to coat well. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir well. Microwave 2 more minutes, stir again. (At this point, mine was done, but if it's still not browned you could add 1 more minute in the microwave.) Spread out onto paper towels to cool. Store in an airtight container. Oh my heck, I just discovered that there's a Lemon Buddies Chex recipe. You know I'm going to have to make that one next! I also really want to try a recipe I've had before that has corn Chex, coconut, and it seems like corn syrup or something holding it all together. Anyone out there have a link to that recipe? Happy eating and Go Steelers!

1 comment:

 
Blog Design by April Showers