Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Gluten Free Super Bowl Ro-Tel-A-Mole and Divine Dipping

I happen to be the world's biggest avocado fan. I always eat it when it's available. You know when you order something like an omelet and it's like a garnish? I always embarrass myself and order extra. I just love their buttery flavor and I completely ignore the fact that there's tons of fat in them. I always tell myself it's good fat, right? Anyway, I have a standard guacamole recipe I usually make, and I also usually don't mess with a good thing. But in the interest of the Super Bowl and the inevitable dipping that will be going on, I thought I'd try something a little different and see how I liked it. I don't like to use the flavor packets unless they're something from the Dippy Chick which I know is gluten free. For those of you who don't know, this is Ro-Tel:Canned tomatoes and chiles that are spicy and delicious. I buy mild but they have hot as well, if you like it extra spicy. You could also use a spoonful of this Green Mountain Gringo salsathat I found at Whole Foods today while I was buying these El Milagro Corn Chipswhich are known around these parts as, "the best chips, mom." They are the extra thin, salty corn chips like they serve at restaurants. Mmm. Good stuff, Maynard. So good, in fact, that I bought two bags of these: one for the children and one for me. Just kidding. But seriously. I did.

Super Bowl Ro-Tel-A-Mole
1 avocado, pitted and mashed
1 large spoonful of Ro-Tel tomatoes and chiles
garlic powder to taste
onion powder to taste
pinch of salt
1 tsp lemon juice

Mix all together and eat with corn chips.

And here's what I'll be doing with the rest of the can of Ro-Tel: Adding it to a block of Velveeta and melting it together to make Famous queso dip! Seriously, Ro-Tel plus Velveeta. That's it. I read the label tonight and it says it just has milk and none of the other ingredients look like wheat ones to me. I checked their website and sure enough, gluten free and good to go. For some reason I have been operating under the assumption that Velveeta had wheat in it. I swear it used to when I first started reading labels 8 years ago. Does anyone remember that or know for sure that they've changed ingredients? Leave me a comment about it so I don't go crazy! But I love finding out I can eat foods I once thought I couldn't eat!

Happy eating!

2 comments:

  1. This sounds yummy! I love avocados too! Thanks so much for all your posts! I really enjoy reading them and looking on your blog for new gluten free ideas! I was diagnosed with celiac almost two years ago and my mom and sister were in the last year, so we're needing a lot of help for sure. :)
    Thanks again!
    -Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chips are incredible. One doesn't even notice they don't contain ANY salt :-) My favorite

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers