Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Adventures in Baking

Yesterday I tried the Grandpa's Kitchen Gluten-Free Bread Mix. I had high hopes. I love the Grandpa's Kitchen Gluten-Free flour so much that I was sure this one was going to be a winner.

First of all, the recipe is a bit involved. For example, you must mix the flour in your stand mixer for 15 minutes after you add the ingredients in just the right order. I'm fine with that. The dough, when it's done being mixed, is quite sticky, so I couldn't get it to look pretty at all in the pan. Which really doesn't matter, but still. I was all ready for my beautiful loaf of dough to pop out of the oven. Well, mine came out a misshapen loaf split into pieces of (beautifully) browned bread. The bread tasted great for about the first 10 minutes, while it was still warm. It then proceeded to shrivel into a lump of dough that simply couldn't be revived. Sigh. What a great waste of 12 ounces of greek vanilla yogurt. Which I am sneakily thinking was the culprit to my bread's failure.

I am fully confident that my lack of skill in working with this product contributed to its demise. I may have used the wrong yogurt or spread it in the pan wrong. I can live with that. The sad thing about it was that it tasted so good, like real homemade bread. I was so ready to eat that warm, homemade bread and I ruined it. If any of you out there have used this mix and have had swimming success with it, please, let me know what I did wrong! I'll gladly retry a recipe to get it right.

1 comment:

  1. Gosh, I'm sorry you had such a hard time with it! I made the bread a little over a year ago, so it's possible that their formula has changed or something. Mine did have yeast, and you mentioned on my blog that yours didn't. I do remember that it was super gloppy, though.

    I would love to do a guest spot on your blog!! That is a fun idea :) Email me at megluten free at gmail dot com, and we will work it out!!!

    PS, I'm LDS,too!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers