Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Saturday, August 8, 2009

Gluten-Free Cornbread



Here's to licking the bowl! How many times have you made something for your family and had to just put the poor unlicked bowl into the sink without partaking? Well, I got to do that yesterday when I made corn bread muffins to go with our Potato Soup. Usually I will use the Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Cornbread mix, but yesterday I decided to use Grandpa's Kitchen flour in the recipe that's on the Quaker Corn Meal package. It turned out so well. I like the Bob's Red Mill mix, but it's very dense. The Quaker recipe makes for a more crunchy batter and you can vary your sweetness level when you make it from scratch. And, you can lick the sweet batter from the bowl!

You may be wondering why I am making muffins instead of a loaf or 8x8 pan. I am the only one in my family (so far) who is gluten intolerant, but my family eats almost all of my gluten-free foods with me. It seems a shame to waste the expensive gluten-free ingredients when there's leftovers, so I make them into muffins because baked goods freeze so well that I can have individual servings from the leftovers available anytime. Just pop them in the microwave for 15-30 seconds and they are defrosted! So when it's October and I am making Progresso Chicken and Rice Soup for lunch I can have a muffin with it.

Easy Corn Bread
1 1/4 cups Grandpa's Kitchen Flour
3/4 cup Quaker Yellow Corn Meal
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
2 egg whites or 1 egg, beaten

Heat oven to 400. Grease 8x8 inch pan or line muffin tins. Combine dry ingredients with a whisk to incorporate air for fluffiness. Stir in milk, oil, and egg, mixing just until dry ingredients are moistened. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 minutes for pan, 17-19 minutes for muffins. Bake until light golden brown and wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.


Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers