Off the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten PathOff the Wheaten Path

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

For the Love of Food


It's time for me to wax existential on this here blog. For a long time I have had a love/hate relationship with food. I love the taste of good food, I love feeling full, I love preparing food and seeing others enjoy it. However, because I suffer from a food allergy that is not only incurable but also excludes half of the foods known to man, I hate food. I hate worrying about what is going into my mouth every time I eat. I hate not being able to eat whatever I want when I wake up in the morning. I hate that when I go to a buffet, I am staring in the face of most of my favorite dishes that I will never eat again. I hate that I will never have Dick's Bakery cake for my birthday for the rest of my life.
But that can't be my focus. I have to be like Magellan and circumnavigate the globe in search of newer, better substitutes for my old favorites. I have to keep trying and experimenting. I have to STAY POSITIVE in the face of a chronic illness. If I let it get the better of me, then the food tastes dusty and eating becomes a chore. Then it becomes a hate/hate relationship instead. Then all that happens is complaining and pity-parties and sad faces at mealtime. And no one wants that. We want food to feed our bodies, but we must feed our own souls. Keep stretching, keep trying new things and new foods. You may find some new favorites out there. What new foods have you found that you never ate before you found out wheat was out of your life? I'd love to hear about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers